Skip to main content

Waiting on God

My family has gone to a church fellowship, which I am sorry to miss, but couldn't handle today, being very pregnant and sorely exhausted from yesterday's bustle of shifting everyone's bedrooms around to get ready for our newest member's arrival. Thanking the Lord for the quiet.
As I sit, this overcast, quiet Sunday afternoon, my thoughts are on all the things I am waiting for. I am awaiting this new one's birth with greater and greater anticipation, as discomforts become greater and our preparations become more complete. I have to remind myself how like Christ's incarnation pregnancy is...how He gave up His place, His glory, His form; set aside some of His divine attributes (like omnipresence); and confined Himself to a human body, restricted in many more ways than I am in this pregnant one. 
"...Christ Jesus; who being in very nature God, 
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, 
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, 
He humbled Himself and became obedient to death--
even death on a cross!"
Philippians 2:5-8

 As His ministry continued, the pressures against Him became more and more fierce, as His opponents sought not only to dismiss Him, discredit Him, or publicly disgrace Him, but to kill Him.
I, too, in a much smaller way, experience increasing pressures, as temptations seem stronger than ever as my tired and uncomfortable body must be forced to do things it would rather not do. It's a strong temptation to waste my time, as I have seven wonderful helpers who do so many things for me so I can rest, but to use my resulting extra time on things of eternal value has been a great struggle, in which I confess I have not been very victorious. I thank God for a sister in The Lord who sent me some suggestions yesterday to help me in this! It's also tempting to complain...and it doesn't help that people expect me to complain, or excuse me for complaining rather than challenging me to confess that as sin and to give thanks to God in everything, for this is God's will for me in Christ Jesus! (1 Thess. 5:18)

Finally, there is the looming labor experience. As Christ looked forward to the cross, the unmatchable suffering He was to undergo, He looked beyond it to the glories to come...and becomes the One to Whom I am to look through every stage.


"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, 
who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, 
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:2

I will labor to bring one physical life into the world; He labored immeasurably more to bring innumerable spiritual lives into being. 

"Yet it was the Lord's will to crush Him and cause Him to suffer,
and though The Lord makes His life a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring and prolong His days, 
and the will of The Lord will prosper in His hand.
After the suffering of His soul, 
He will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by His knowledge My Righteous Servant will justify many."
Isaiah 53:10-11

How good to remind myself how great a love my Savior has for me! How good to submit to His good and perfect will in my own life! I am reminded that He has gone through every temptation to its last extent and was victorious...tested far more than I will ever be...and proved perfect, obedient, and faithful.
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses,
but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin...Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from what He suffered and, once made perfect, He became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him."
Hebrews 4:15, 5:8

There are other things I am waiting for...answered prayer in areas of salvation and growth for people I love.. I must rest on the fact that God is never late. He is never early. He is always exactly right on time...and my waiting purifies me as I must grow in faith like Abraham.
"And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised."
Hebrews 6:15

I have no guarantee from God that I will receive what I pray for...but the longer I seek Him, and walk with Him and trust in Him, the more my prayers will be answered as they reflect His own will and desires.
What a loving, patient Savior I have. May Christ be exalted!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Presidents and Policies

President Trump is the president of the country we live in, and as Christians, it is our duty to obey and support and pray for him, and to show him respect. I support Trump in this way, and I’m also thankful  to the Lord for His grace to us in the good policies enacted and actions taken that support biblical morality. As a Christian, I’m grateful for the fact that the Lord has used even an ungodly man to uphold values that are biblical in nature, which reflect godliness. However, I believe Christians tend to stray off track when we begin to act as though Christian values in policy and law has something to do with the godliness of our country in general. Christian values don’t save anyone. Individual hearing of the gospel, repentance, and believing change hearts. Policy doesn’t drive people to Christ. Faithful proclamation of the gospel is what we are called to do and to pursue. Why do Christians spend so much time actively pursuing and speaking on and pushing Christian values a

Causing Division

Wherever there is a faithful and discerning believer willing to step out on a limb and warn others about a false teacher or teaching, there is always a crowd of professing Christians there to start the outcry: “You’re causing division in the body of Christ! Just leave them alone! Plenty of people are getting saved and are being helped by this person/ministry/teaching! You’re just sour, or jealous, or bitter and unloving!”…etc. On and on the accusations go. I’ve been on the receiving end of this myself. If I’m honest, though, I’ve been there…when I was younger in the faith; more impressionable, more naïve, and less understanding of the scriptures that familiarity, growth, teaching and study give those who have maturity. And while I don’t claim to be a mature Christian, I’m certainly not a baby anymore. I’m maturING, praise God. He in His wisdom and preservation have kept me from falling into dangerous traps of many wrong teachings and teachers, and given me a love for Scripture

God’s Name and Breathing…

There’s a popular post making the rounds about a supposed association between the Name of God and breathing. (If you haven’t seen it, don’t worry, it’s no loss.) I’m including a photo that’s been attached to this post, but not the post itself, because….well, this is because.  1. This post has absolutely no biblical basis. Nowhere in scripture are we told, or is it even implied, that the covenant name of God is associated with breathing. 2. The woman who wrote the original post claims that “scholars and Rabi’s [sic] have noted that the letters YHWH represent breathing sounds, or aspirated consonants. When pronounced without intervening vowels, it actually sounds like breathing.” Hmm. Who are these scholars and rabbis? What is her source for this information? Are they even credible, biblical sources? We don’t know because she doesn’t say. We’re just supposed to take her word for it, I guess?  And even if they DO “note” this, as she claims, somewhere, I have more questions: How do they kn