Skip to main content

Blind Spot Blessings

It's cliché, but true--we don't really learn to appreciate many things until they're taken away. It also demonstrates the truth that we are generally an ungrateful bunch, taking God's great blessings for granted as if they ought to be there every day...as if He owes them to us somehow.
Of course, unbelievers have no capacity to be truly grateful to God. But in the body of Christ, so many of us, while we may not be actively complaining (which is a sin...addressed very clearly in this sermon by my pastor last week--causing much conviction, I might add), we really don't actively give God thanks for His blessings. We live under His daily mercies with the assumption that they will always be there for us. Sun. Rain. Air. Food. Sleep. Family. Clothes. House. Friends. Neighbors. Church. Health. E-mail. Income. Job. Doctors. Transportation.

And infinitely more.


You should turn from these vain things to a living God, 
who made the heaven and the earth and the sea 
and all that is in them...he did good by giving you
rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts
with food and gladness. 
Acts 14:15, 17

The God who made the world and everything in it,
being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live 
in temples made by man, 
nor is he served by human hands,
as though he needed anything, 
since he himself gives to all mankind
life and breath and everything.
Acts 17:24-25
 

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has
blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing
in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 1:3


His divine power has granted to us
all things that pertain to life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him
who called us to his own glory and excellence,
by which he has granted to us his precious
and very great promises, so that
through them you may become partakers
of the divine nature, having escaped
from the corruption that is in the world
because of sinful desire.
2 Peter 1:3-4

 
These past four weeks, my husband has been working in another city...with one week out of state and one week overseas. Now, I don't mean to say I don't appreciate my husband--I am vastly thankful and grateful for the blessing he is--but I haven't appreciated many of the unseen, taken-for-granted blessings that he brings.

For one thing, his presence is an emotional stabilizer. Or rather, we find his absence creates emotional instability. Or is it both?? Whichever it is, all of us have been subject to an emotional variance that is much broader than usual.

And another thing--everything seems to take so much longer to do...even things he isn't even regularly here for, like home schooling. I do NOT know how that works out. But it's happening.

He provides accountability that I am missing. (Maybe that's why things are taking so long.) I don't have to have dinner ready (or almost ready) when he gets home from work. I don't have anyone to make me go to bed at a decent hour. (You would think I utterly lack self-control in that area...and you would be right. God is waking me up [oh what a bad pun] to all kinds of weak areas. What a gracious thing He is doing!)

There are more things.  I miss his slower, methodical decision-making. We laugh more when he's around. We get out more. We do more creative things. And wonderfully, his presence allows us the privilege of putting his needs and desires above our own and gives us the blessing of serving Jesus by serving him.

God does nothing without purpose. This time of mostly apartness (he is home on the weekends, praise the Lord!!) is already a blessing because I'm seeing more of what I can thank God for in my husband. I am appreciating him more when he is here and seeing some blessings that I was blind to and took for granted. How good is my Savior!


Not that I am speaking of being in need,
 for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.
 In any and every circumstance,
 I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, 
abundance and need. 
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:11-13 

Oh, to be where Paul was! But God  is so graciously working it in me!

I don't know how long this time will last. He is 400 miles away as I write, working. He plans to, Lord willing, look at some possible homes for us this week. I am praying he finds one this week...but with the knowledge and security of knowing God's timing is best. His grace is evident during this time...He always, always, gives sufficient grace for the day. I am well. I am more grateful for God's daily, faithful blessings. 

It is well with my emotional soul. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Presidents and Policies

President Trump is the president of the country we live in, and as Christians, it is our duty to obey and support and pray for him, and to show him respect. I support Trump in this way, and I’m also thankful  to the Lord for His grace to us in the good policies enacted and actions taken that support biblical morality. As a Christian, I’m grateful for the fact that the Lord has used even an ungodly man to uphold values that are biblical in nature, which reflect godliness. However, I believe Christians tend to stray off track when we begin to act as though Christian values in policy and law has something to do with the godliness of our country in general. Christian values don’t save anyone. Individual hearing of the gospel, repentance, and believing change hearts. Policy doesn’t drive people to Christ. Faithful proclamation of the gospel is what we are called to do and to pursue. Why do Christians spend so much time actively pursuing and speaking on and pushing Christian values a

Causing Division

Wherever there is a faithful and discerning believer willing to step out on a limb and warn others about a false teacher or teaching, there is always a crowd of professing Christians there to start the outcry: “You’re causing division in the body of Christ! Just leave them alone! Plenty of people are getting saved and are being helped by this person/ministry/teaching! You’re just sour, or jealous, or bitter and unloving!”…etc. On and on the accusations go. I’ve been on the receiving end of this myself. If I’m honest, though, I’ve been there…when I was younger in the faith; more impressionable, more naïve, and less understanding of the scriptures that familiarity, growth, teaching and study give those who have maturity. And while I don’t claim to be a mature Christian, I’m certainly not a baby anymore. I’m maturING, praise God. He in His wisdom and preservation have kept me from falling into dangerous traps of many wrong teachings and teachers, and given me a love for Scripture

God’s Name and Breathing…

There’s a popular post making the rounds about a supposed association between the Name of God and breathing. (If you haven’t seen it, don’t worry, it’s no loss.) I’m including a photo that’s been attached to this post, but not the post itself, because….well, this is because.  1. This post has absolutely no biblical basis. Nowhere in scripture are we told, or is it even implied, that the covenant name of God is associated with breathing. 2. The woman who wrote the original post claims that “scholars and Rabi’s [sic] have noted that the letters YHWH represent breathing sounds, or aspirated consonants. When pronounced without intervening vowels, it actually sounds like breathing.” Hmm. Who are these scholars and rabbis? What is her source for this information? Are they even credible, biblical sources? We don’t know because she doesn’t say. We’re just supposed to take her word for it, I guess?  And even if they DO “note” this, as she claims, somewhere, I have more questions: How do they kn